Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Image Exercise

As we begin to explore the power of images, over the vacation capture images that best demonstrate your life taking into consideration some of the genres we discussed:
People (friends, family, job) , Landscapes, Places, Objects
* Staged Photography
* Still Photography

Be prepared to present/discuss your images after vacation.


** Also, based on our discussion of contemporary photographers in class, you will profile a contemporary photographer and talk about their body of work.

VIK MUNIZ: KEITH
ANDREAS GURSKY: BRITTANY
SALLY MANN: TERESA
DAVID LACHAPELL: MADSON
NIKKI S LEE: ERIC
NAN GOLDIN: NICOLE
CINDY SHERMAN: PRISCILLA
PHILIP-LORCA DICORCIA:DAN
WEEGEE: BRENDAN
HERB RITTS: EDDIE
HYPE WILLIAMS: BLISS

CREATE IN GOOGLE DOCS:
IMAGES
* WHO IS THE PHOTOGRAPHER: WHAT MAKES THEM SPECIAL?
* LINKS:WEBSITES
* LINKS:VIDEOS
*ANY OTHER INFO YOU FIND INTERESTING

Resources:
International Center of Photography
VIDEOS ON PHOTOGRAPHY
Museum of Contemporary Photography
Contemporary Photography Blog #1
Contemporary Photography Blog #2
Ms. V's Photoblog
MOMA Photography
Memorable Photographers

SOME PHOTOGRAPHERS TO LOOK AT:
Tina BARNEY
http://mocoloco.com/art/barney_jill_polly_dec_06.jpg

Andre Gursky
gursky99cent.jpg image by americansuburbx

David LaChapelle

8 comments:

Brendan said...

The picture that stood out to me were the one that didn't look mundane.

Dan said...

I am not just about one type of photography, I love all types but if I had to choose I would probably pick people because only real life humans can make such interesting facial expressions that may be cute or pleasant.

keith said...

The style of photography that I am most interested in, is landscape, but not landscape in a typical sense. I like to see the beautiful landscape in the background with something else in the picture, another element that captures your attention that you may not expect to be in that certain environment that the photo is taken in. I also like pictures of everyday ordinary things, captured in a new and interesting way that make you feel like it is something much more extraordinary than the object it actually is.

nicolepanza said...

I like photographs with people. I also like when they are unaware that the pictures being taken or unprepared because you can capture a moment rather than a pose.

peach said...

Even though black and white photography is pretty, I much rather prefer color photography because color can affect the mood an vibe of a picture. regarding the subject, I like it best when people are the main focus, but not very much when they are straight on.

madsonr9 said...

I like all types of photography but I mostly like to take pictures of people this is because, I like to capture the moment or the action that is going on when taking a photo of a person.

britt3 said...

The kind of pictures I like looking at, and the ones I like taking are of people. Those types of picture would be action shots. I think action shots show a lot of intensity. The action shots could be of people playing sports or doing anything else as long as they're moving. Another type of picture that I like is when the whole picture is black and white, and there's a small part in color.

E-45th said...

I like taking pictures and filming people all the time. I haven't taken a ton of pictures lately but pretty soon the cannon is coming back.