Wednesday, November 25, 2009

THANKGIVING!

THANKSGIVING
by Emily Morad

I do not like the actual holiday of Thanksgiving, however I do love the gathering of family. Every year since I can remember, I have been celebrating Thanksgiving with my mom's side of the family, and look forward to that time I spend with them every year. I never liked turkey, and now I have an excuse not to eat it, because I'm a vegetarian. However, I enjoy all of the delicious sides like sweet potatoes, and potatoes, and all of those other amazing things.

The reason why I do not like the holiday of Thanksgiving, is because during this time period when the first Thanksgiving came to be,  in 1621, the Pilgrims were destroying the Wampanoags' way of life. They would rape their women, take their goods, and they would try to "domesticate" their "savagely" ways. It was NOT in any way the Native Americans and Pilgrims living happily ever after. On this holiday, we should all take a moment of silence for the Native Americans who died during the destruction of their land. 

On a lighter note, I think that we should thank our friends and family for what they give to us everyday, because without their love and support life would be very difficult. That is what Thanksgiving should celebrate.

One funny memory I have of Thanksgiving, is two years ago, when about 20 of us were all around a huge table, and I reached for something on the table, and as I sat down the chair fell out from under me, and I fell on my butt. It was hilarious.

No comments: