Friday, March 18, 2011

Exit Through The Gift Shop


Exit through the gift shop is a documentary about different artists who express their art on the streets, also known as graffiti. What I think about this film is that there are many ways and techniques to express art work. This film took normal artwork and changed it into something different that the world wasn't use to seeing. One of the characters, Terry, showed his interest in the different street artists by filming them and developing his own passion for the street art.My overall impression of the film is that I liked the film because it was for people to show their emotions and feelings through the art. I feel that some of the artwork, for example by Banksy, was a little too pricey. I wouldn't pay 30,000$ just to have a piece of his work hanging on my wall. What's unique about him is that he's mysterious and that no body knows who he is. It's amazing that you could be so famous but no body knows what you look like. A memorable scene in the movie was when Banksy's art exhibit featured a painted elephant to camouflage with the wall. I didn't even know that you could paint an elephant like that. Thinking about how they manage to keep the animal calm while decorating it. A character that I remembered was "space invader". I found it cute that this particular street artist went around the city and plastered little mosaic aliens in random places. Overall I liked the movie but I'm still trying to find out how people can take something and call it art. The amazing thing about street art is that although it is temporarily and illegal, people find ways to show everyone their talent and amazing skill throughout the streets.

1 comment:

Ms.Ventura said...

Excellent post, it was very insightful and informative. Most people wouldn't pay $30,000 for a piece of artwork, however collectors (and those who can afford it) invest in art in hopes that someday it will be worth more (especially when the artist dies). Bansky is unique in that he is alive, famous, and anonymous--which attributes to the inflated costs surrounding his work.

I'm also still trying to figure out how "people can take something and call it art." Welcome to the art world!
Great Job. Ms.V