Monday, April 12, 2010

Growing up online

In my mass communication class, we were recently at a website called  http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/kidsonline/view/. This website was about how now a days we all same to be growing up online. One way I can relate to this would be how my three year old cousin is always on the internet watching videos on youtube such as music videos for kids and barbie video clips. Yet thats just right now, soon she would probably be using it for many other things  such as facebook to chat with friends. I'd say that we all have grown up online, by the fact that when we want to get information we just use the internet to get it, such as back in the day we would have to go to the library and check out a book on the topic we wanted to know about. As in today we can just go to google and other resource websites and search the topic and in seconds we have all the information we wanted to know. I don't know if I call that cheating like some teachers and students did on the videos I recently watched but I do agree that the internet does make our life's a little easier. But in some cases like students used so they would not have to read a book and yet in minutes know everything they needed to know about a  book using the internet I guess I would call that cheating after all.  The internet has become a very big part of us all and I can tell because every now and then when my internet is not working I end up missing it more then I usually think I would. The internet can be very helpful and useful but if we don't know how to use it the right way it can also be very upsetting. From watching the videos I noticed how many of us all have our own way of using the internet but not all ways are appropriate. I noticed how some people used the internet to be different or to even be themselves without people making fun of them. I noticed by watching these videos that some moms are overly protected about there children and tries her best to know about there every move, like how a mom placed the family computer in the kitchen to always know what her kids are up to. Well I learned quite a lot from watching these videos and I do agree with what people had said about using the internet and how there are many right ways and wrong ways of using it. 




No comments: