Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Google sans China

So Google doesn't really care about China anymore, I guess. This NY Times article talks about Google's pullout from China, mentioning the "sophisticated cyberattacks on its computer systems that it suspected originated in China and that were aimed, at least in part, at the Gmail user accounts of Chinese human rights activists." Google had been coveting China's 300 million Web users for years, and this is a very important move by Google, seeing how China is the most populated country in the world. There would also be a lot of money lost - the Google offices in China report $300 million dollars annually.

This YouTube video sheds some light on the topic.

I had absolutely no idea of this development, and, like many current events in the world, I don't really care what happens. I can still use Google on my computer, and seeing how I don't think I'll be Googling anything in China any time soon, I can live with whatever this turns out.

No comments: