Thursday, December 9, 2010

New Media Literacy

New media literacy is being able to understand and analyze the media you use and how it affects you. I do think it would be helpful to teach new media literacy in schools. A lot of kids I know need help learning how to manage their technology use. As long as it didn't become too ridiculous, like telling you all your video games will turn you into a crazy murderer, that would annoy a lot of students. Just as long as we learn interesting, useful things how to understand our culture through our movies, commercials, music, and websites. Plus knowing how to turn your phone off and get work done is a useful skill of any of us. Maybe teachers could even take it too, so they can understand the internet culture their students are plugged into.
I don't use my phone in school, I get very little service and I don't really text anyways. My iPod actually helps me work because I like to have music to listen to. When I use computers in my art classes I listen to music also. The only time I get to use computers is in art class, and I find my work in those classes more important that what's up on Facebook. Devices just don't distract me that much in school.
At home I can be a little more distractible, when I do homework on the computer I counter this by taking short brakes that I don't let run on for too long. Sometimes in personal actives I would rather use media, but just the computer. I can spend a lot of time on the computer, but I will eventually realize I've done everything I needed to do and get off. I might use some of the suggestions in the article to help me get my non-school activities done. Probably the ones that have to do with answering and checking email, I always have email organization problems.

(Note: above is my dream computer.)

No comments: