Thursday, December 9, 2010

Unplugged, An Examination On Media Use

What is new media literacy?
New media literacy is an improved ability to understand and comprehend the messages in modern media. It is designated as new, different from the original 'media literacy', because as time advances, media comes at people more quickly, making it harder to understand. Also, with more technological advances, the media can create more diverting displays, making the actual message harder to find.
Do you think it is important to teach new media literacy in schools? Why or why not?
Schools should teach at least a basic form of media literacy. With a tide of fresh technology arising, the media will be more and more complicated. If a generation is to succeed in the new media age, they must be able to understand what the new media is telling them at a rapidly increasing pace, and even more complicated. If children are taught in school how to analyze and examine even the most basic media, then they will be more likely to survive in a world that is very quickly becoming media and technologically based.
In classes, do you find yourself distracted by your 'devices'? How does it impact your learning?
Not in school, no. I rarely bring my phone to school, and it's not built for texting anyway. I do have my iPod, but I generally forget about it because I can't see it most of the time. I keep it with me in case the teacher tells the class that we can listen to them. I mostly only listen to my iPod when I'm walking places, and barely use my cell phone at all.
How does media use effect your out-of-school activities?
The media isn't exactly a problem for most of my out-of-school activities, since it is actually a mode of communication for them. I a bit less tech-savvy then most of the other teenagers I know, so it can sometimes be an impediment, but I'm generally able to work. I do sometimes lose track of time when I'm on the computer because I get interested in something, but I tend to come to my senses before to long. It's more that once I focus on something, I tend to block out the outside world more then the technology itself.
Would you use some of the articles suggestions?
Personally, I think I already operate on at least a minor basis of what they suggest in the article. There are plenty of times when I have gone without using a computer, especially to socialize. This mostly happens when I'm with family, and I often have plenty of fun in places without any media whatsoever with friends.

No comments: