Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Reaction to ''Turkey day mirror''


My reaction to the article ''Growing up digital, Wired for Distractions'' is that I found the article to be stunningly true, in many aspects. I think it is very true that many teenager's today get distracted by many of the technology around, whether its Facebook, texting, or video games. The article did a great job of using knowledge from research, and from other students themselves, and the reason as to why I agree is because I have had experience myself, and I can honestly say right now as I'm writing this, I happen to be on Facebook. The article does a great job of describing how the Internet and media, and technology can bring distractions from homework, especially when they used many example's such as Vishal Singh, David Reilly and Allison Miller. But although they described the bad things about this habit that runs throughout most teenagers, I don't think they did enough to show the benefits about this. Sure, it may be a distraction from homework, and may keep teenagers up restless awaiting the next text, or hungry for my information from the technology, but for many people, things such as video games and media and technology is a source of stress release, it can calm you down, help you forget about other things such as the stress of school. It may not be true for all people, but for me personally, the fun of playing a game in which makes you feel as if your in a whole you new different world doing something different than you are doing in your everyday life is a sweet escape, and the access to media and technology gives you access to Friends everywhere you go, making life easier so that you can talk to people when you need to.
I think many of what other teenagers did in that article directly reflect on a lot of the things I do. Like when Mr Reilly says '' He's a kid caught between two worlds,'' I feel that applies to me and many other students because now is a time where many of us are caught in between reality and the digital world. But despite that, I personally try to regulate my hours spent using technology for none school related reasons, so that i can focus on school work, but its often very hard, sometimes your just tempted and cant stop. But most of the time I end up realizing that my school work is really more important, and I'm completely aware of the effects of spending all my time on Facebook, or on video games, so I always go back school work, because surprisingly, I find that the time i spend on the media and technology have an affect on my grade due to the amount of focus I lose from it, which is why I keep trying harder to focus more on my school work.

4 comments:

Ms.Ventura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M said...

You did a great job on your blog. It had many good details and the picture you found is funny.

Gregory Case said...

Good post, it goes into great detail and I like a lot of your points. Canada.

Ms.Ventura said...

Very Good

Nice reflection, I especially liked your point regarding the "positive"nature of new media. You have a few grammar issues (like not capitalizing your I's) and you didn't post the link, but otherwise nice reflection.

I agree that media has a negative and positive side. The article seemed to stress more of the negative aspects in reagard to student use which you nicely touched upon.

It seems that you have figured out a workable balance for yourself in regard to your homework/media use. It also seems like you have created discipline for yourself.

The more you understand about this dynamic, the better off you'll be in the long run, especially in college.

Keep up the good work and thoughtful reflections.
Ms. V