Thursday, November 25, 2010

Turkey Day Mirror


I thought the article was very clear, relating, informative, kind of repititive but helpful, and very true. I completely agree with the article's views and arguments about the usage of technology within growing generation of students around the country. I find this article very helpful and challenging because it relates with me. I'm not against this article but alongside the article's views about using technology of students on a daily basis. This article called "Growing Up Digital, Wired for Distraction", talks about students from Woodside High School who use Facebook, watch Youtube, play video games more than needed, text their friends, and do multi-tasking after they reach home. These students are perfect example of what the students in America are look like or what they do at home rather than studying or doing homework for school. These students use the media for fun and entertainment rather than using it for educational purposes. There is this student named Vishal Singh who attends Woodside School who is a very talented film-maker and an editor but lacks focus in academics such as doing his homework and paying attention in the class. When he's at home he mostly spends his time using Facebook, watching Youtube, and making videos on his home computer instead of studying and doing his homework. He says he lacks concentration and is easily distracted by the media and that's the biggest reason why he always does poorly in school. His future goal and achievement is to be a film-maker and an editor and he says that is what he is going to do for living in the future. Some psychologists, professors, and scientists in this article talked about usage of media in extremity affects student's brain and it eventually affects the student's lack of concentration. The other students in this article are media-addicts also and they talk about how they use media more than 8 hours everyday and it affects them on the academics and schoolwork. My media use is limited sometimes but if I have nothin else to do I use media a lot. Most of the time I listen to music on my ipod. The second most media I use is my computer using Facebook and Youtube everyday for more than 3 hours maximum. I do my homework regularly evryday but I listen to music too much that it affects me from studying for my tests or quizzes and also it distracts me from doing school work. I'm basically addicted to music and Facebook. I do my homework always late at night because everyday I return from school the first I do is turn on the T.V. and watch ESPN then I use my ipod to listen music and finally I use my computer to use Facebook, Youtube,etc. After doing all that and wasting all my hours of precious time, I finally start doing my homework late at night. And it affects me big time because I don't get enough sleep and I have no time studying for tests or quizzes except finishing homework for the next day of school. That is why I always feel tired, exhausted, and sleepy everyday mostly in the morning at school. My extreme use of media has definitely affected me by getting distracted from doing my school work and I have touble concentrating in classes and it's hard to focus on my studies. I can say that I'm part of this media-addiction similarly to the kids from the article because we all have trouble focusing in our academics because we all use media too much which turns out to be a bad thing. I listen to music all the time whereas Vishal spends time making videos but one thing we both have in common is that we both use Facebook and Youtube a lot everyday. So there are both the similarities and differences that me and the article have. But the one thing that me and the article both have in common for sure is the extreme use of media.


Sources: Website

5 comments:

TJ Hairston said...

good job Anurag you explained your own media use very well nice detail

Ahmad Taha said...

Anurag, i think you did a great job on your reflection, for a few reasons. I think this is a because you showed the good things and the bad thing of media usage, and you were able to relate it to your own use of media and technology, which is what made your reflection great, nice job.

Gregory Case said...

Good job, lengthy but it goes into a lot of detail on both the article and your own media use.

M said...

You did a great job. The blog was very detailed and well thought out.

Ms.Ventura said...

Excellent

This is very fine work Anurag. Aside from some minor grammatical problems, your response was very thoughtful and informative.
You are a man of few words in class, but clearly you are very contemplative and reflective.

I especially enjoyed your media use comparison between Vishal and yourself. Like most students who have responded to this blog, you tend to do your homework at the last minute, making you tired in the morning.

Perhaps knowing this aspect of your media use can be a good turning point? Or perhaps use media as a "reward" after doing your homework. It's a balance you'll have to strike the rest of your life!
Great work!
-Ms. V