Sunday, November 28, 2010

Turkey Day Mirror


I found the article "Growing up Digital, Wired for Distraction" to be shockingly true. I agree that many teenagers are distracted by technology such as the Internet, video games, cell phones and television. The article did a nice job of interviewing both students and teachers. I also like how the article used the idea of people being addicted or to an extent dependant on technology. I use the Internet and watch television often. I would say I watch television and go on the Internet for a total of two to three hours a day. Also, I text my friends often and sometimes have long conversations through text. A problem that I face often is when I am on the computer or on the Internet for my home work and I get distracted and go on a website such as Youtube or Facebook. I often get distracted from my homework for up to twenty minutes. As a result I usually finish what I have to do on the computer and try to focus on my home work until I finish a certain subject. I am often texting my friends but when I do my home work I am not texting and I usually put it away so I am not tempted to text. I do get distracted by technology but I also always finish my work so in some aspects I am like the kids from the article but in other aspects I am not.

5 comments:

Gregory Case said...

Good post, I also don't feel like I am like exactly one of the kids in the article.

Anurag Budhathoki said...

Nice job overall Mike but you forgot to include the link.

Ahmad Taha said...

Nice job Mike, i like how you were able to relate the article to your own experiences in a detailed way, so that it is proving your opinion/point true.

Alice Leah Fristrom said...

Er... Random format point, it took me a little while to find the first 'I', but that probably isn't your fault. Nice job.

Ms.Ventura said...

Good +

Nice job Mike, but you are missing the link and specific examples from the article.
Other than that, you provided great insight into your behavior around media use. I especially enjoyed your discussion regarding texting and homework. It sounds like a very smart move to put your phone away while you are doing homework, as not to tempt you to text!

You also mention that you have long conversations over text. Why do you do this instead of traditional phone calls?

Ms.V