Monday, November 29, 2010

Wired For Distraction: Media, Learning, and the Teenage Brain

This article, Growing up Digital, Wired for Distraction, seemed very reminiscent of my own problems at home. Although I do receive massive amounts of homework daily, I know I could do it much more efficiently without procrastination. Procrastination has always been an issue for me. I've been told I do it too much since 5th grade.
Even though I have a phone but barely ever text/call, I find myself constantly getting lost in the computer. The ability to receive information instantly is powerful, and the article perfectly described the problem. Even if my biggest problems generally tend to be random sidetracks off of my work that are somewhat relative to my work, they still take up way too much time. I generally end up finishing my homework between 10 and midnight, both because of the work load and the media. This putting off of homework was also covered in the article. In the end, the article definitely paralleled my experience with media and work. The article caught my attention because it was so personal. Even if I don't procrastinate via texts, it's a subject that I know all too well.

3 comments:

asdfghjkl said...

You did a good job of connecting to the article, and I agree that they did a good job of reflecting the problems that media poses for teenagers. I have similar situations when it comes to procrastination, so I also could relate to the teens featured in the article.

Ms.Ventura said...

Very Good +

Nice work Ben of reflecting on the article in relation to your own use. However, it would be nice to also have concrete examples from the text. It's great that you are aware of your procrastination problem. The first sign of change is to a acknowledge the problem!
Personally, I would find it hard to do my homework between 10pm-12am at night because I am a morning person, but everyone works differently.
It would be interesting to know what sites you procrastinate most on.
Good work.
Ms. V

Benjamin said...

yeah. i generally work better in the morning as well, but it's difficult to get up early and live off little sleep :P